Aug 25, 2010



Foraging for Wild food

I have a soft spot for foraging as it reminds me, as I'm sure it does many other people, of childhood trips to hedgerows laden with berries and abandoned orchards creaking with the weight of apples, pears and plums. As a child I spent many a day up a tree dropping the best apples to the less agile of the scrumping party below. These days it's me catching the fruit as common sense has, unfortunately, set in and has me firmly rooted to the ground.


Since coming to Ireland, and with the exception of a one off trip to Howth for mushroom collecting with the Slow Food society (highly recommended), I've cautiously stuck to picking wild blackberries and strawberries. This year though I've branched out (excuse the pun) to elder flower, elder berry, plums and this weekend, weather permitting, I'm off to the wicklow hills with The Irish Raw Living Food Meetup Group led by Geraldine Rothwell - a naturopath and nutritionist. I found this trip on a great site called Meetup.com and would encourage everyone to come along.


No comments:

Post a Comment