Jul 23, 2012

Beware of snail eggs - always wash your pots

What a glorious day! I popped outside to re-pot the Succulents and ended up staying out there for hours.  How could I not with an actual summer day on offer!
Succulents in their new pots.

I've let the garden do it's thing over the last year or so, whilst I dealt with all manner of distractions. Now that I'm back to lend a hand/interfere, I can happily report that there seems to be an all round agreement between the plants to have a growth spurt.  Unfortunately this includes the grass, creeping butter cup and dandelions.  Dorris, the resident rabbit, is delighted with our dandelion cultivation skills though. 

Whilst having a tidy up I came across a couple of my saplings that were in need of bigger pots.  When I took them out to upgrade them I spotted what, I first thought where eggs but then realised where snail hatchlings [pictures below].  This is a new one on me.  I've seen the eggs before, small white balls that are often described as 'looking like polystyrene balls' but I've never seen them at this stage.


My instinct is the same though - get rid of them!  Now, I do feel bad about this - as a child I wanted a pet giant snail and I honestly feel like a a traitor!  But, when it comes down to it these little creatures will reek havoc in the veg plot. So, go they must!


My advise to you is this: When re-potting plants have a poke around the root ball for the a fore mentioned 'polystyrene balls'.  If you spot them, gently scrape them into the bin with a twig, be careful not to damage the roots.


And, always always wash your pots in warm soapy water before reusing them.


Happy gardening.



Snail/Slug eggs || 2 sizes
Snail Hatchlings










Snail/Slug eggs || 2 sizes

No comments:

Post a Comment